Inside the Scoop Tip 1: How do I know whether a protein powder is good and not full of sh*t?

INSIDE THE SCOOP TIP 1
HOW DO I KNOW WHETHER A PROTEIN POWDER IS GOOD AND NOT FULL OF SH*T?


With so many options on the market, it’s getting hard to distinguish between a good, high quality protein powder to one that is cheap, full of crap and a waste of your money. This article will provide you with two quick and easy tips to help you get an idea whether a protein powder is a good egg or a crappy one.

1. SIMPLE MATH

This tip is a quick and easy way to get an idea on how much of a serve in a product is actually protein and how much is full of other bits and pieces. Simply look at the nutritional panel and look for two numbers; the protein content per serve and actual serving size (usually found at the top of the panel).

The serving size is the scoop found in your protein. By doing this math’s equation, we are simply finding out how much of this scoop is protein and how much are other ingredients such as sweeteners, flavours, colours, thickeners, added amino acids etc.
We will use one of my favourite protein powders, Rule 1 WPI as an example. Simply divide the protein content into the serving size and multiply by 100. This will give you a percentage amount that indicates how much of a serve is protein!

In this case; 25 divided by 28.9 multiplied by 100 = 86.5%! I now know that per a 28.9g scoop, 86.5% of that is protein with the remaining 13.5% being other ingredients.

Whey Protein Isolate products we like to see a percentage amount of at least 80% and higher.

Blended proteins (the sources in the product are a blend of different types such as Isolate, Concentrate, Casein etc.) we normally like to see them around the 72% - 78% mark.

That tip should help you invest in a good quality protein powder!

2. INGREDIENT LIST

This tip is pretty straight forward and simply requiring you to look at the ingredient list next to your nutritional panel on the protein powder. Basically, the longer the list of ingredients, the more items the company has added in to the product, normally done to make it taste amazing. By doing this they actually sacrifice the quality of the protein, bringing that protein percentage per serve down!

The shorter the ingredient list, the less colours, sweeteners and flavours the company has added, keeping that protein percentage high and giving you the consumer more value for money.
Below is a comparison between two protein powders, both in the same category, both being blends. Remember, a 72% - 78% protein per serve is normally what we like to see in blends. Apply these two tips to distinguish the differences!